Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On Motivation...

I have thinking a lot about motivation lately, and recognizing when something inspires or motivates me. 

These are some of the things I've noticed that keep me going, and get me up off the couch.

* Feeling (and seeing) muscles where once there were none.
* Seeing my daughter and hubby start running, because I am.
* When someone new at the gym asks if I just ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill and says they're inspired.
* Hearing my hubby say "Wow, I'm impressed!" when we run together.
* Reading blogs by runners. They are truly inspirational in their commitment to running.
* Looking back to February when I COULD NOT RUN more than .25 miles on the treadmill.
* Imagining myself running the half marathon that is on my calendar in November.

I start my 10K Training tonight as part of a team.  This is a first for me.  I have never been part of a team (except track for one year in high school), so I am hoping to be inspired and motivated by others on this training team.  Anything I have done has always been just me out there wingin' it and seeing what happens.  I think that this will give me the confidence to start trying longer runs.  Having someone there who has done it a million times to help me learn what I'm supposed to know will be worth the time and travel it's going to take for me to participate in the training.  I'm excited, and nervous.  I'm so new to the whole running scene. I don't know the lingo, don't know things that are obvious to the seasoned runners. I just want to learn and run smart. So, I'm just going to try and learn as much as I can... then share as much as I can remember with my hubby, who is just starting to get his run on!

Shelly

Living... in constant admiration of the committed, seasoned runners out there!
Laughing... at all the things I don't know that I don't know.
Loving...  the support my family gives me for my (almost) obsessive interest in running.

No comments:

Post a Comment